Some spots still available!
Pre-Festival Workshop with UK sound artist Ryan Jordan
Thursday, June 6 | 6:00 – 10:00pm | InterAccess
Date & Time: June 6, 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Location: InterAccess Electronic Media Arts Centre
Address: 9 Ossington Avenue, Toronto, ON, M6J 2Y8 map
Tickets: http://subtletech2013.eventbrite.com [Regular $55 | InterAccess Members $45]
*Space is limited. Get your tickets now!
retro-death-telegraphy is an experimental workshop where participants will explore and build a range of devices which have at some point been believed to have the potential to aid in communication with the afterlife. The workshop will focus specifically on the Scole Experimental Group’s Germanium Trans-Dimensional Communication Receptor; a technological device reportedly constructed in the 1990′s to aid with two-way communication with the afterlife. Upon construction of this device the participants are invited to join a séance to test these theories.
For more information:
Ryan Jordan is an electronic artist conducting experiments in derelict electronics, possession trance, retro-death-telegraphy and hylozoistic neural computation. His work focuses on self built hardware, signal aesthetics, and the physical/material nature of experience. He has presented his work internationally in a wide range of venues from art and academic institutions to derelict warehouses and squats at places such as Transe(s) Symposium; CTM Festival; ISEA; and NEXT Festival. He runs noise=noise, a research laboratory and live performance platform aiming to develop a network of artists, programmers, and researchers working in the areas of noise, experimental, exploratory, and outsider arts.
This workshop is presented in collaboration with InterAccess.
Get Your Festival Passes Today!
(For the full schedule, click here)
Friday, June 7 | 7:00pm – 10:00pm | Beaver Hall Gallery
Exhibition: The Beyond Category / Opening Party
Featuring artworks by David Khang, Scott Kildall / Nathaniel Sterne, John Paul Robinson and Alan Sondheim
Saturday, June 8 | 10am – 5pm | Ryerson University
Symposium Day 1
- John Paul Robinson: The Amber Archive
- Line Dezaindre: Les ateliers Angus: individual and collective memory in the digital age
- Atanas Bozdarov & Johny Bozdarov: DNA “Mating Call”
- Scott Kildall: Tweets in Space
- Hendrik Poinar: DNA from Fossils, Time Travel and De-Extinction
- Britt Wray: Undoing Forever: A live radio documentary presentation about bringing extinct species back from the dead
- Ryan Jordan: retro-death-telegraphy
Saturday, June 8 | 7:30PM – 10:00PM | OCAD University
Film Screening of The Singularity + Presentation & Panel Discussion
Presentation by Randal A. Koene: Neural Interfaces, Neuroprostheses and Whole Brain Emulation
Panel Discussion with filmmaker, Doug Wolens, Randal A. Koene and Trevor Haldenby. Moderated by Greg Van Alstyne.
Sunday, June 9 | 11:00am – 4:30pm | Ryerson University
Symposium Day 2
- Alan Sondheim: Digital and Physical Collapse
- Scott Menary: Born in the Big Bang – Neutrinos – The Ultimate Immortals
- David Khang: Amelogenesis Imperfecta / Beautox Me!
- Don Hill: sound landscape memory
- Myriam Nafte: Trophies and Talismans: The Traffic of Human Remains
- Veronica Hollinger: “We Will Be Different”: Some Notes on Science Fiction and Immortality
- Panel Discussion with Veronica Hollinger and Eric Boyd. Moderated by Roberta Buiani.
To see the full schedule and to purchase tickets, visit our website!