|O’BORN CONTEMPORARY presents:
Third Annual Emergent Artists Exhibition
January 3 – January 17, 2014
DEADLINE EXTENDED: AUGUST 15th 2013 6PM
Call for submissions
O’Born Contemporary is pleased present its third annual exhibition of emerging artists in January 2014. Works in all mediums will be accepted, provided they address the theme of Romanticism in today’s secular context. Please use the text below for guidance on this theme. Selected works will be exhibited at O’Born Contemporary with a prize awarded for best-in-show.
About the Exhibition:
Anachronisms are ubiquitous in contemporary society-vintage goods are in high demand, musical trends support the recirculation of old bands that are then re-cast into history’s pool of dismissed creative out-put, and, though never identical in aesthetic, Avant Garde art movements emerge at least once per decade, placing the tenets of Dada in the context of Fluxus, and those of Fluxus in the context of today’s Anti-art progenitors.
Remarkably, the political disruption and technological race occupying the world’s attention in our current state has disguised the resurfacing of another artistic movement – one that is so philosophically and intellectually subtle, it might go unnoticed. Romanticism in the 21st century has emerged not only in reaction to the technological revolution, but further, due to a need for wonder in the stark light of today’s political realities. Do symbolic and, further, geographically symbolic, narratives still have relevance within secular discourses today? Perhaps because technological advancement has caught up with our own imaginings of the virtual, art has returned to ruminating on antique subjects such as physical endurance; the crossover between histories and geographies; melancholy and the solitary; the terror of the sublime, and Arcadian landscapes.
– Original work in any medium is eligible.
– Submitting artists should be emergent, meaning not commercially represented.
– Submitting artists must be 18 years of age, recommended 18 – 35.
– Submitting artists must reside in the greater Toronto area (GTA).
– Students may submit.
– There is no fee for submission.
Submissions must be delivered by email to submit@oborncontemporary. com by
AUGUST 15, 2013, 6pm.
Ensure to include the title "EMERGENT ARTIST EXHIBIT SUBMISSION" in the subject line of the email.
Conditions – Work must have been produced after January, 2012.
– Works must be available for purchase. O’Born Contemporary will collect a thirty-five percent (35%) commission on sales.
– While only digital submissions will be accepted, selected works must be exhibition-ready (framed, mounted where necessary – no loose prints or paper).
– Inclusion in the exhibition is contigent upon accurate reproduction of the original work. Work will be turned down where too great a variance exists.
Guidelines for Submission
– Only digital submissions will be accepted.
– Each artist may submit up to five (5) works.
– Technical Requirements:
– JPG files, 1-4 mb in size.
– Filenames must be formatted as follows: artistlastname_imagetitle.jpg
– Image title of JPG must match image title in image list.
– Submissions must be accompanied by an image list including: Title of work, medium, year of creation, dimensions, edition (if applicable)
– Submission must include an artist bio and/or CV along with an artist statement referencing the submitted works or general artist practice
– Submissions missing any requested information will be discarded without notification. Only one email per artist submission will be accepted.
– Notification of acceptance will be emailed out on or before October 15, 2013
– Accepted artists will be responsible for delivery, in person to O’Born Contemporary, 131 Ossington Avenue, Toronto by December 20, 2013.
– The exhibition will open Friday, January 3, 2013. Artists are encouraged to attend.
– O’Born Contemporary may reproduce and photograph selected works for purposes related to promotion, and education.
– By submitting to this call, artists guarantee they have copyright to submitted works.
– ONLY ACCEPTED ARTISTS WILL BE NOTIFIED.
Direct all inquiries to submit@oborncontemporary .com.
131 Ossington Avenue
Toronto, ON M6J 2Z6
Tuesday – Saturday 11 – 6